Wednesday, September 17, 2008

School Morning Reflections

Will there ever come a time when kids actually get up and out the door all on their own? We have a daily tornado that blows through our home. It's a simple process, really, but one would think that my kids have never gotten ready for school in their life. Uniforms SHOULD make it all the more simple. I even made their lunches at 6:30am so that I could make their breakfast at 6:45, so they could simply get out of bed, put on their clothes, make their beds, fix their hair, come down the stairs, blah, blah, blah.

Today is "Picture Day". Mind you, we never order pics from the school because I personally think it's ludicrous to pay upwards of $35-40 PER CHILD for a bunch of wallet-sized likenesses of them that will get lost in some drawer. Plus, we don't HAVE $35-40 per child for these pictures. Either Jarrod takes their pics, or I take them to the local Walmart for about $8-10 per kid, and I think they look every bit as good. However, they still have to get all gussied-up for this occasion. Jacob and Anna have the fashion thing down. They looked great running out the door this morning.
Caleb?? Well, since birth, his idea of dressing up has been an old pair of sweats and a grubby football jersey. Only today he picked out a shiny jersey, but I had to inform him that play clothes are not for school pics. Here come the tears....again. There IS no changing his mind. We've fought with him over clothes since...well, since birth. He still will only wear elastic waist pants...no matter what! For those of you who are saying, "Well, who's the boss here?", let me state that I've chosen my battles with Caleb for now. With Jarrod gone at 6am, I mentally cannot deal with getting kids out the door at 7:25am and Caleb screaming and crying over "normal" pants! I'm completely willing to begin bribing the kid. When Jarrod is here some glorious morning, we'll tackle it together. So, until that time Caleb will have to wear his khaki shorts to school...even in December. #1- I am not searching all over Tarnation for elastic-waist khaki pants in a size 8! #2-he has outgrown his last two pair of elastic-waist khakis. Not to mention that he is totally unaware that only "old men" wear elastic!
Who would have thought that our battle with Caleb would be over his clothing woes? But looking into those beautiful eyes helps me to see the bigger picture. I love this kid.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

Oh man, I hear ya' girl. Some things just aren't worth the battle. All though, I will admit we go through the same thing on Sunday mornings. How many times have I told my boys that T-shirts are not for church!?