Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Update on Adolescence

Last night Jacob told me that he's just so jealous of ALL of his friends, because they ALL get to date. I said, "Well...really? Uh, where do they get to go, and how do they get there? They're only 10-11."
Jacob, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I dunno."
I replied, "Jacob, sweetie, I think your friends might be telling you some tall tales. I don't think they really go on dates, because it's another 5 years or so until they can drive anywhere to GO on a date. What do you think?"
Jacob agreed.
"Don't worry, Jake. You have lots of time."
I DID tell him that next week, when I drive for his field trip, that Katie-Lynn can go with us. I could tell that he was trying to figure out how many we can fit in our truck, and if it would be cool to have girls (one, in particular) come along.

2 comments:

Mom Keena said...

Ahhh, yes!!! Welcome to the world of new lingo. "Date" no longer means an invitation followed by time spent together doing something special. The best I can figure "date" means yes-I-like-you-and-you-like-me. But watch out, our experience with one of ours (although she was not ten!)was the liking-each-other stage led to a ridiculous we-cannot-live-without-each-other stage. And for the record, they are presently doing just fine living without each other. Having Katie Lynn (?) ride with you all was a great idea. If she is a nice girl, encourage their friendship. This will be good for both of them, ideally leading to a better understanding of the opposite sex. This may also lead Jacob to a better understanding of who God has created him to be, and how much He loves him. (Oops, did I just start preaching?!) I look forward to hearing how things progress.

Suzanne said...

ack...what? I so don't want to think about this stage. My oldest has a new facination as to when she might get to wear a bra. She's 8. Oh my, so this was the pain of childbirth...the raising them part...that Eve brought upon us, huh?