Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Does Anyone Have a Paper Bag???

I am trying not to hyperventilate, but, you see, my 10 year old son just told me last night, and this for the first time EVER, that he likes a girl at school! I knew there was a reason that he was acting "differently" yesterday.

It happened like this:

Jacob: "Mom, can I call Dad?"

Me: "Sure, Babe."

Jacob: "Mom, can you take Cookie downstairs while I talk to Dad?"

Me: "Ok...what's THAT about? Oh well."

(Melissa walks back upstairs to hear the tail end of the conversation)

Jacob: " 15 or 16? Oh, ok. Hey, do you want to talk to Mom?"

(hands Melissa the phone)

...30 minutes later...

Jacob: "Mom, how old were you when you went on your first date?"

Me: "Oh, I think about 16 or so. Why? (hee hee hee)"

Jacob: "I just wanted to know...(pause)...Well, ok, I'll tell you....

I like this girl."

(Melissa about chokes on her spit, and fumbles with her next crochet stitch, then takes a deep breath and calmly says,)

Me: "You do? Wow. What's her name?"

Jacob: " Katie-Lynn."

(Melissa sighs. A good sigh, though, as that is the cutest name!)

Me: " Oh, she's in your class, isn't she? What is it that you like about her?"

Jacob: "She's really nice, Mom."

( Conversation continues for a couple minutes)

Me: "Well, Jacob, I think it's wonderful that you are friends with her. You just keep on being her good friend, ok?"

Jacob (very relieved to have gotten this off his chest): "Ok, Mom."


Whew. Where was Jarrod when I needed him? Up in Santa Fe, but as soon as I tucked Jacob in and prayed with him, I ran downstairs and called Jarrod on speed-dial to tell him all I had just endured!

You see, just the night before we had been talking to some friends of ours about how Jacob is still in the "Girls are gross" stage. And even if he did like a girl, he'd NEVER admit it! Since he looks 15 years old, he has been getting some "looks" from teeny-bopper girls this summer, but he's been scared out of his wits as to what to do with that!! He's 10 years old, for Pete's sake!!

I caught him taking this picture of himself this morning! Hilarious!



And so, once again, I tightened my grip on this thing we call life, and I'm hanging on by my fingernails!!
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

3 comments:

Mom Keena said...

Sounds like you handled things perfectly...well, except for the missed crochet stitch!

tkoerner said...

He is not going to be happy you blogged this, LOL.

I can hardly wait to have Julie read this, maybe it will bring back some memories for her of J-Rod when they were growing up.

Becky said...

I'm just laughing because it is too cute, but also because I will have 5 teenagers all at once (but only for a little while) (As if that makes it easier!) Seems like you handled it well. Have fun!