Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Bonnet Story

I finished the "Little House" bonnet for Anna Mary's oral report today in record time! I have NEVER used a real pattern to sew before. My sewing consists of things made up in my mind, or the straight lines that make curtains. Anything intricate scares me.

However, in an effort to make Anna think I really can do anything, I bought the pattern and began reading the instructions in "sewing language" on Monday night. What does "notch" mean? Or "Grade the seam allowance"? Yikes. Or "interfacing"? I remember that word from when my Mom used to sew dresses for us girls. Oops! I didn't buy interfacing.

Hmmm, I need something stiff to make that brim on the bonnet stay in place. Cardboard? Nope, can't be washed. Cardstock? Nah, same thing. Ok, I'll just cut an extra piece of the fabric and starch the heck out of it until it's stiff enough. VoilĂ !! It worked!

Tuesday morning I spent about 3 hours sewing it all together. When I turned it around and looked at the finished product, I thought I heard angelic voices telling the world of my accomplishment!


When Anna walked in the door from school and I saw her face light up at the sight of my incredible handiwork, I knew all was well in my little part of the world.



4 comments:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I love this post! It makes me grin from ear to ear it is so cute! Isn't it awesome getting to be a mom!?

Bekah said...

Very impressive! It looks great! At least you can sew, I have my great grandmothers antique sewing machine and all it does is sit and collect dust...it's a great catch all table too! :-)
BTW: Mom's really can do ANYTHING!

Becky said...

Nice work, oh mom who can do anything!

AfricaBleu said...

Ku-dos, girl--one of the reasons I've never even attempted sewing was because of the daunting mumbo-jumbo language. What the heck is a "baste?" Isn't that what you do to a turkey?

The bonnet is awesome, prairie girl.